Love Your School Library Day
February 14th is Love Your School Library Day.
February 14th is Love Your School Library Day.
"School Libraries: the Heart of Literacy" [image]
Charlie's Chocolate Factory
Posters and Bookmarks:
BCTLA is excited to offer Love Your School Library Day posters and bookmarks in English and French! Posters may be downloaded and printed in any way by anyone in any jusrisdiction! However, if you wish to make alterations to the content included on any of the posters, please contact BCTLA regarding the necessary copyright permissions.
October 2016 is Library Month.
Monday, October 24th is BC School Library Day.
Share-Celebrate-Advocate. Everyone can participate:
- Drop Everything and Read! Participate in the BC DEAR challenge.
- Visit your school library soon!
BCTLA DEAR: Drop Everything and Read for 2016
BCTLA is excited to offer large pdf's to promote the event. We have offered two choices in English/French. Posters may be downloaded and printed in any way by anyone in any jusrisdiction! However, if you wish to make alterations to the content included on any of the posters, please contact BCTLA regarding the necessary copyright permissions.
Browse our photostream on Flickr
Choose from the following selection of files.
The poster was designed to be printed at 11 x 17. To print letter-sized posters: try printing 'scale to fit' or 'fit to page'. For larger posters: try scaling it up 200% to 22 x 34.
BC Advocacy Toolkit
Get updates from a range of services to suit you and your colleagues:
- BCTLA web - home page
- BCTLA Forum- Google Group Login | RSS subscribe
- Twitter updates- @BCTLA | @BCTLA_DEAR
Advocacy Resources Developed by BC Teacher-Librarians
We are all working in trying times, often spending long days just trying to maintain our existance, nevermind be worldclass teachers. Many of our colleagues are under strain and threat of cuts. We can lose heart. Despite the too frequent stresses confronted by professional teacher-librarians, a few colleagues raise the bar of professionalism and resist the odds.
- BCTLA Executive
- PowerPoint: Teacher-Librarian Advocacy in BC (2012)
- Brochure: Teachers and Teacher-Librarians: Effective Partners in Education (2009)
- Vancouver Teacher-Librarians' Association
- Video: Teacher-Librarians Supporting 21st Century Learners (2009)
- Video: Specialist Teachers Speak Out (Teacher-Librarian Mary Locke) (2002)
- Brochure: School Libraries Are Important to Student Achievement (2009)
- Comox Valley Teacher-Librarians' Association
- Brochure: Library Promotional Brochure (developed by Tracey Richards)
- Coquitlam Teacher-Librarians' Association
- Song Lyrics: Teacher-Librarian Overture (2011)
- Langley Teacher-Librarians' Association
- Surrey Teacher-Librarians' Association
- Flyer: Teacher-Librarians in Surrey (2010)
- Greater Victoria Teacher-Librarians' Association
- Video: My Teacher-Librarian (2010)
Other Advocacy Resources
- AASL Advocacy Toolkit
- AASL Tip of the Day
- School Library Advocacy (Curated by Karen Bonanno)
- 21st Century School Libraries, Parent Engagement and Student Achievement (OSLA)
Guidelines and Models
- From School Library to Learning Commons: A Pro-Active Model for Educational Change (BCTLA)
- Evaluating, Selecting, and Acquiring Learning Resources: A Guide (ERAC)
Working and Learning Conditions and Statistics
- BCTLA Working and Learning Conditions Reports
- BCTLA and BCTF Working and Learning Conditions Reports
Letters and Statements
- Proposed Reductions of Teacher-Librarian Staffing in 2009-10 > BCTLA statement
- BC Library Association Responds to 2009-10 Cuts > response
- CLA and CASL Alarmed At Cuts to BC Education > news release
- BCTF: FTE services decline > download document
Research and Links
Research on BC Teacher-Librarians and School Libraries
- Union-Active School Librarians and School Library Advocacy: A Modified Case Study of the British Columbia Teacher-Librarians’ Association and the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation (Ewbank, 2015) Paper
- The Role of Teacher Unions in School Library Advocacy: A Case Study of the British Columbia Teacher-Librarians' Association and the British Columbia Teacher's Federation (Ewbank, 2013) Preliminary Findings
- Connecting British Columbia (Canada) School Libraries and Student Achievement: A Comparison of Higher and Lower Performing Schools with Similiar Overall Funding (Haycock, 2011) Paper
General Studies and Resources
- B.C. Coalition for School Libraries
- Canadian Coalition for School Libraries (CCSL) brochure
- The Crisis in Canada's School Libraries: The Case for Reform and Re-Investment (Dr. Ken Haycock)
- Exemplary School Libraries in Ontario