Bill 33 – Education (Learning Enhancement) Statutes Amendment Act, 2006
Bill 33, Education (Learning Enhancement) Statutes Amendment Act, 2006, was passed by the provincial legislature on May 12, 2006. The bill amended the School Act to include class-size (Grades 4–12) and class-composition limits, new conditions for distributed learning, and a change in the obligation of school boards to report to the BC College of Teachers.
The government has not provided school districts with any new funding to implement this legislation. Many secondary students are still waiting for smaller classes and students with special needs at all levels are waiting for the support they need.
Read more about Bill 33 and the BCTF perspective in the following documents. BCTF reports from the Learning Roundtable are also available online.
- If schools were convention centres ad, Nov 2007. Maybe if schools were convention centres, they would be getting the resources they need. When the province has a $4 billion surplus, why are students being shortchanged?
- Provincial government fails learning-disabled kids. Georgia Strait, Nov 1, 2007
- Improve conditions: Enforce the limits. Issue Alert, Sep 4, 2007
- Impact of Bill 33 on class size and class composition in 2006-07. BCTF submission to the Learning Roundtable (Jun 20, 2007)
- Update on class composition. A Note from your Teachers, Mar 20, 2007
- Class-size update. A Note from your Teachers, Mar 20, 2007
- Bill 33 - Students and teachers are still waiting. BCTF presentation to the Learning Roundtable (Feb 26, 2007)
- Did You Know? no.6, Feb 2007
- Still no funding for Bill 33. Did You Know? no. 5, Jan 2007
- Bill 33 misgivings. Letter from the Teaching staff, Highland Secondary School to the Comox Valley School District superintendent. Teacher newsmagazine, Nov/Dec 2006
- Print ad, Why are students still waiting? (Nov 28, 2006)
- Issue Alert, Is class-size legislation helping students? (Oct 20, 2006)
- Issue Alert, Information for members on the provisions of the legislation. (May 30, 2006)
- Letter to the minister, BCTF raises concerns about Bill 33. (May 4, 2006)
- Bill 33: A step in the right direction. Teacher newsmagazine, May/June 2006.
- Our Schools Need Full Funding for Bill 33. Handout for parents.
- Keeping our eyes on Bill 33. Handout for parents.
- School Staff Alerts – bulletins for members: