||Volume 16, Number 3, January/February 2004
It takes a community to raise a child
This poster (address below) cites some of the many cuts to services and programs for children, young adults, and families in our province. We hope you find many uses for the poster and the information on the back. A few suggestions are printed below, and you will undoubtedly come up with many more uses:
• Post front and back on school and community bulletin boards, and any other public location in your community.
• Use as the basis of a speech to members, parents, trustees, and other municipal and community organizations.
• Use as a "leave behind" in a visit with your MLA.
• Use in social justice work with members and the community.
• Use as a handout at community events and/or professional days.
• Give a copy to the PAC chairperson.
• Use the information on the poster as the basis of a discussion at a school planning council meeting.
Copies of the poster are being distributed to local presidents and staff reps. More copies are available to locals on request. We will also be distributing the poster to provincial coalition members (B.C. Society for Children and Youth, Anglican Diocese—Peace and Social Justice Unit, End Legislated Poverty, UNICEF, Aboriginal Women's Collective.) and unions as well as giving out the poster at public events.
The poster can also be found on the BCTF web site: bctf.ca/action/cuts/ittakesacommunity/.
– Kathleen MacKinnon