||Volume 16, Number 5, April 2004
Charter for Public Education Network
by David Chudnovsky
The Charter for Public Education was published last year. Now the charter principles will be put forward by a new, membership-based organization.
The new Charter for Public Education Network brings together for the first time in British Columbia all those individuals and groups committed to the principles of public education. The network:
- advocates for strong, stable public education in British Columbia.
- develops and presents workshops on topical issues concerning advocacy and education.
- lobbies, communicates, and speaks out for learners.
- models participatory democracy, accessibility, and equity in all its activities and projects.
- organizes conferences where supporters of public education can learn from their diverse experiences and share their knowledge and wisdom.
- promotes fully funded, equitable, accessible public education.
- publishes articles and studies and intervenes in the media to defend the principles of public education.
- sponsors respectful debates and discussions on the issues facing public education in B.C.
- works with colleges and universities to carry out research that illustrates the value of public education.
The principles of the network are based on the Charter for Public Education. The charter, published in 2003, was the result of public hearings in 42 communities across British Columbia. In more than 620 submissions, British Columbians expressed their dreams, hopes, and vision for their communities and their learners.
Teachers, parents, students, school trustees, business people, and others have already joined the network. The charter web site, www.charter.publiced.ca, is a wonderful resource for those interested in advocating for the principles of public education.
Join the charter network
Fill in the form below and mail it to:
The Charter for Public Education Network,
Box 380, 916 West Boardway
Vancouver BC V5Z 1K7
Telephone ____________________ E-mail ______________________________
____ I am enclosing $20 for an individual membership
____ I am enclosing $10 for a student, senior, or unemployed membership
____ I am enclosing $100 for an organizational membership (local or regional organization)
____ I am enclosing $250 for an organizational membership (provincial or national organization)
____ I am enclosing $__________ as a donation to the Charter for Public Education Network.
Make all cheques payable to: Charter for Public Education Network.
Contact the Charter for Public Education Network at the above address, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our web site at www.charter.publiced.ca.