Antipoverty Teacher Resource Books
The following resources are listed in reverse chronological order.
welfare and youth homelessness in Canada: A proposal for action. Nichols, N., et al. (2017) Toronto: Canadian Observatory on Homelessness Press
- Poverty and education - A teacher's perspective: A summary report of focus group research. BCTF research report 2012-EI-01 (Aug 2012)
- End Child Poverty - Facilitator speaking notes
- First Call Child
Poverty Report Card
- Working for a Living Wage 2015
Call to Action: Let’s End Child Poverty in Canada: For Children, by children,
with children, created by Keep the
Promise (KTP) and Campaign 2000,
is an illustrated, online book that tells the story of the Keep the Promise
Campaign. This campaign engaged 2,500 children across Canada in working toward
ending child poverty. This book summarizes the key issues of the campaign and
provides links to resources to support children and adults in becoming engaged.
Written in English and French, this resource is accessible for children age ten
and up. Hard copies are available for $4.00 from Campaign 2000.
- Ruby K Payne, Ph.D is the founder of aha! Process and an author, speaker, publisher, and career educator. Recognized internationally for A Framework for Understanding Poverty. (Apr 2015)
is a realistic, gritty and bittersweet book. It is about a sixteen-year-old homeless boy named Dylan. His mother threw him out of the house with some clothes and a few spare objects. (Apr 2015)
- Canada Without Poverty/Canada Sans Pauvrete - Poverty is a violation of human rights. We work to address the structural causes of poverty by raising awareness, educating and inspiring others to support its eradication in Canada. (Apr 2015)
- Warrior Publications is published in occupied Coast Salish territory (Vancouver, Canada). Its purpose is to promote warrior culture, fighting spirit, and resistance movements. In addition, this website seeks to function as an historical archive of Indigenous anti-colonial struggles and resistance, and to provide analysis of these struggles.(Apr 2015)
- Poverty as an Election Issue, From Awareness to Analysis to Action. CASJ Powerpoint presentation (Nov 2012)
- Poverty in a Land of Plenty. Alberta Teachers’ Assoc. Newsletter (Dec 2011)
- The Cost of Poverty in BC. Report from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (Jul 2011)
- Poverty and education. Students are not to blame: Understanding the structural causes of family poverty.
BCTF Research Report 2009-EI-01.
- More Than Bricks & Mortar: A Rights-Based Strategy to Prevent Girl Homelessness in Canada (May 2008)
the Playing Field for Children: a community action toolkit
- Backgrounder: The effects of poverty on education outcomes. A Note from your Teachers, no. 24 (Dec 3, 2007)
- More than a free lunch: The effects of poverty on education outcomes. A Note from your Teachers, no. 23 (Dec 3, 2007)
- Poverty, a growth industry in British Columbia (2006)