BCTF News Release
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
||March 8, 2006
BCTF's 90th Annual General Meeting
As students throughout BC head off for spring break, about 700 of their teachers will gather for the 90th Annual General Meeting of the British Columbia Teachers' Federation. It will take place March 11 to 14, 2006, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Vancouver.
Delegates to the AGM are responsible for setting BCTF policy and directions on a wide range of educational and social issues. This year, resolutions coming before the meeting address issues that include: aboriginal education, graduation requirements, accountability and assessment, support for locally elected school boards, ongoing affiliation with the BC Federation of Labour, opposition to privatization in the public school system, professional development, and, of course, collective bargaining.
The bargaining discussions are on Monday and will be closed to the media. However, BCTF President Jinny Sims will be available for comment afterwards. Other newsworthy highlights to note are:
Saturday, March 11
- 7:00 p.m. Keynote report from BCTF President Jinny Sims, followed by greetings from the presidents of major labour and education organizations, and a special video presentation on the BCTF protest action, October 2005
- 9:30 p.m. Election statements by candidates for president and vice-presidents
Sunday, March 12
- 9:00 a.m. BCTF Leadership Report
- 4:15 p.m. Report of BCTF Executive Director Ken Novakowski
- 4:30 p.m. Election statements by candidates for the BCTF Executive Committee
Monday, March 13
- 9:00 a.m. Keynote address by Stephen Lewis, United Nations Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS
Tuesday, March 14
- 9:00 a.m. Elections for BCTF Executive Committee
- 30 -
For more information, contact Peter Owens, at 604-871-1877 (office) or 604-340-2172 (cell).