Teacher wish list for 2012
A happy new year to everyone, with a hope that these come true!
- a negotiated settlement in bargaining, not legislation
- restoration of rights as determined by the BC Supreme Court
- reducing the number of students living in poverty through a poverty reduction plan
- manageable class sizes and class composition
- a teacher-librarian in every school
- restoration of specialist teaching positions
- employment equity for Aboriginal teachers
- new capital construction and fewer portables
- salary and benefits comparable to teachers in Ontario and Alberta
- stable, reliable, and adequate funding for public schools
- time to make sure that every student loves learning every day
- recognition for decades of teacher leadership in innovative pedagogy and curriculum
- a government that wants to protect public education.